Monday, December 26, 2005

Sokout (Silence) by Makhmalbaf

(Another 10/10 movie by Mohsen Makhmalbaf...will surely write a review soon...this is the current draft under preparation)

This is my introductory movie in Iranian films..I was stunned! I got interested in Makhmalbad when I read some of his writings about originality in movies. He compared Indian directory Ray with other western directors and explained how Ray demonstrated very original views of Asian countries. I never thought of people viewing Ray's film in that dimension. Makhmalbaf started with "Pather Panchaali", how that touched him. Before this review I also read another review of "Pather Paanchaali" by someother modern western critic that these kind of movies are too narrow in thinking, too confied to a small place, doesn't have appeal for modern western audience. But Makhmalbaf explained in a very different language the insight of "Pather Panchali". I was stunned! So, I decided I must checkout movies of this director.

I got the chance in Sundance film festival video store in SaltLake City where they had a collection of Makhmalbaf. Got these two movies: Silence and Gabbeh. There were other movies too, but I liked these two a lot.

I still remember the sound: "Khorshid" , "Khorshid"..that little girl with colors, the friend of khorshid wanted him to tune perfectly the musical instruments. But Khorshid wasn't just a technician, he was an artist who looks for sound..Beautiful sound, sound of different frequency catches his ears..he forgets his way..Khorshid follows the sound! Khorshid follows the way of sound! The story follows next.

Its all about Khorshid, his search for sound, the beautiful colorful girl, her love for music, music of Iranian countries...his blindness was very important since otherwise he couldn't have followed sound and music so carefully...

No comments: